Re: Producing Daisy Books

> I'd check if there are good daisy reader for Linux first.

doesn't emacs-speak support Daisy?  also, one could use a Linux tool set
to produce books for dissemination to any Daisy platform.

> > most important question, what format is the information in now?
>
> debiandoc-sgml IIRC.

good news!  recommend sending the SGML through a lite-weight filter to
turn it into XML and then using any of the many XML manipulation tools
available to turn it into Daisy.  simple docs maybe able to get by with
a simple XSLT style sheet transformation.  more complex docs can be put
through a pipeline to build the Daisy comments using XSLT, XPath and if
necessary, some code to walk a DOM tree or dip into a SAX stream.

philosophical disclaimer:  I think that the community/commercial model
being used by Linux will result in better real solutions than those that
come from from large commercial enterprises whose sole motivation is to
pass a 508 audit(or the local non-US equivalent) so they can sell to the
government.

--
Jeff Suttor    <Jeff.Suttor@EarthLink.net>