Re: info about vi on the net

Scott,

If you are using "vim" (do check my last message), try hitting
the Escape and enter the following command:
:set ruler

(Don't forget the ":" in front of the "set" command!!!)

This should display more relevant information to you, especially
the "-- INSERT --" signal when you are trying to enter text. If
you need something easier to use than "vi", please try to install
"nano" -- it's the GNU clone of "pico" (try this as well) and a
very, very simple editor to learn, as all commands are displayed
on the last two lines of the screen.

If you'd like to learn vi, just start by using the reference text
attached to this email. It's fairly short, but, I hope, informative.

On Thu, 19 Sep 2002 09:41:03 -0600, Scott wrote:
> I don't really like the editor because it doesn't have commands at the
> botom to get me out of trouble if some thing were to happen on accident say
> I hit escape one too many times and I get thrown in the command mode instead
> of the insert mode.  However I have learned a few things and this quick
> reference is what I need for the time being as I just trying to configure
> the system.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

--

Gil Andre ___ Technical writer ___ Arkeia Corporation
email: gandre@arkeia.com | web: http://www.arkeia.com