Re: Getting Linux up and running with speech

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, gildur inglorion wrote:

> Hello all.  I am new to this list, and I have a few
> questions.

Well, this is the right place.  As with many lists, we have
a compiled list of answers to "Frequently Asked Questions"
(FAQ) you will want to start with, where most of your
questions will be answered, including many you have haven't
thought of yet, but will.  Last I checked, which has been a
while, you could find it by following the links attached to
each list message (you will have to turn on display of full
email headers temporarily, to see some of them).

> Can anyone give me a suggesttion of which version of Linux
> works well with speech.

Any of the major ones will work fine: more in the Blinux FAQ.

> Preferably a sound card,

Soft speech is indeed possible.  You'll know what
particulars to ask about after you get the general stuff
from the FAQ.

> or I'm using a Braille Note from Pulsedata Humanware for
> my note taking device, which does have a braille display.

More on that in the Blinux FAQ (contains pointers to braille
access stuff, and a whole lot more).

> Also, is there a way to install Linux with speech?

Yes, but you need a hardware synth to use it.  Check the FAQ
for the "speakup" site URL.

> Any help, and or suggesttions would be very much
> appreciated.

Find a friend who runs linux (blind or not), and go with
the distribution he knows best.  Join your local LUG (Linux
Users Group): there are web sites that list the locations
and web sites for these all over the world.  Visit
http://www.tldp.org/ and survey the reference and tutorial
stuff available there.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html