Re: .PDF's for blind users

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 janina@afb.net wrote:

> This wouldn't get files that have the bits set to prevent conversion to text. See:

Well... if you download the source for pdftotext (from the xpdf package) you
can overide the check on those bits pretty easily.  Official distribution of
xpdf can't obviously have that check removed of course.  But I believe that
what you personally do privately on your own computer is up to you.

BTW, since someone mentioned the existence of a pdftohtml package available
on the net, I downloaded the source and improved them a bit so it now
produces really nice and useful HTML out of all the PDF files I've converted
so far.  I'd even say humbly that with my changes pdftohtml is now producing
equal or even better HTML than what Adobe's online conversion tool is doing.
And of course my initial issue with sending confidential documents over to
Adobe is now no more.

If someone wants the patch just tell me.

Nicolas