Re: brltty debian package; was: Installing Debian Woody with BRLTTY

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, David Csercsics wrote:

> wHILE WER'RE ON THE SUBJECT OF SPEECH AND brltty IS IT PSSIBLE TO USE THE
> bRAILLElITE AS BOTH A SYNTH AND A bRAILLE DISPLAY AT THE SAME TIME WITH
> brltty OR HOW DOES THAT WORK. aLSO HOW USEABLE IS brltty'S SPEECH SUPPORT?

BRLTTY can use braille and speech output of the BrailleLite simultaneously
with no problem.

BRLTTY's speech support is meant as a complement to braille but not as a
full fledged screen reader package like EmacSpeak, Speekup or the like.  In
other words, BRLTTY's speech output is pretty useless without braille
output.  On the other hand, I never felt the need for any other speech tool
besides what BRLTTY provides along to my braille access, and I use speech
quite a lot in that setup.

This being said, nothing prevents you from using BRLTTY simultaneously with
another speech package in parallel if you wish.

Nicolas