Verizon DSL with RH 7.2-- Help?

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Dave Hunt wrote,
[concerning his efforts to get DSL to work]:

> Just before rebooting, I moved the file
> "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0" to my root
> directory, so the Ethernet device wouldn't come up at boot

Humm....  I don't have DSL, and don't use rp-pppoe, so I can
only make some general observations about the "ifcfg-eth0"
config file, which we can hope can put you on the path to
a solution.  Red Hat uses the /sbin/ifup bash script to bring
up various network interfaces, such as eth0 (the first ethernet
card interface).  ifup is, in turn, used by other GUI utilities,
and by the boot scripts (eg, /etc/rc.d/init.d/network), etc.
If you check through these two scripts, you will see that they
check the ifcfg-eth0 file for a variable "ONBOOT=yes|no" to see whether
to bring up the interface at boot time.  If ifcfg-eth0 is
missing, you will likely be unable to bring up eth0 at all,
at least through the normal redhat utilities.  Does the Roaring
Penguin package provide an alternative script and config setup?
Probably not, since they have apparently provided rpm packages
for Red Hat; they likely follow the usual conventions.

Anyway, the network config files (and some others) are documented
in /usr/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt (or is it
/usr/share/doc/...), including the ifcfg-<interface-name> ones,
so that may help in terms of text mode configuration.  Note that
the ifup script is also documented here (you might just say "ifup
eth0", perhaps, to connect, once everything is configured right)?

Hope this helps, LCR

Complete original question follows (lengthy):

--
L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid