video problem.

Well, certainly it doesn't hurt to practice installing. And, a
good time to do that is when there's nothing very critical yet on
your system.

However, that may not fix the problem.

Have your friend try pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1

That should bring up a text console login. Did you say you've
done this already?

Since speech is of interest, I'm attaching our latest, not yet
released, version of our installation HOWTO. Just a few links
aren't working yet, which is why it isn't released just yet. I
expect to go live with this very soon.