From: "John J. Boyer" <director@chpi.org>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: Book Share and Linux

Hello,
Alison's response sounds good to me. Since I run a transcription
operation that produces math and science books in Braille, I am keenly
aware of the importance of preserving page breaks.
I hope AFS from maplefish will be adequate for editing rtf. I've been so
busy following this thread that I haven't tried it yet.
John
On Fri, 14 Jun
2002, Janina Sajka wrote:

> I have forwarded some of the mail on this thread to Book Share. I
> am now forwarding the response I received to this list, because I
> think it both instructive and responsive to the needs of Linux
> users:
>
> NOTE: I've edited out some personal points in the message I
> received.
> >From Alison@benetech.org Fri Jun 14 12:36:51 2002
> From: Alison Lingane <Alison@benetech.org>
> Thanks so much for passing along the posts to us - we're glad to know
what
> people's concerns are.
>
> HTML was definitely considered when we chose one format, but the
drawback it
> has is that it loses page break information if it is in the original
file.
> This is important to maintain in books, especially for students who
have
> assignments based on page numbers.
>
> To explain to you in a little more detail, the book conversion process
goes
> like this:
>
> 1.  Volunteer submits a file in any format
> 2.  Another volunteer (or staff) converts the file to RTF.  We chose
RTF
> because it keeps as much markup information as possible, but isn't a
> proprietary format, and most programs have a "save as RTF".  Knowing
the
> answer to John's post of what files can be used with Linux to
accomplish
> this would be helpful.  Volunteers can also re-submit as ASCII, but
this
> loses any markup present in the book.  (If the book was submitted in
ASCII,
> we try to have it resubmitted in ASCII so false markup isn't added.)
> 3.  Our software converts RTF to the XML content file of the DAISY
standard.
> 4.  Our automated software tools run on this XML file - quality
assessment,
> OCR correct, etc.
> 5.  Our tools then convert this XML file to DAISY, BRF (actually, we
use
> Duxbury for this), and in the case of public domain books, HTML and
ASCII.

--
Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org