printing from Braille and Speak through linux to new printer?

Hello again Willem

On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 13:16:06 +0200 (SAST), Willem wrote:
> Hello,
> Some clarification:
> The Braille and Speak can produce documents on itself.

What type of document? Word files? RTF? Plain ASCII?
HTML? Wordstar? Some other exotic format?

> My sister then wants to print these documents directly
> from the device to a printer.

OK.

> The dos machine is connected through thin ethernet to the linux box.
> I therefore want to create a setup where one can plug the serial cable of
> the Braille and Speak into the linux box and give the print instruction
> from the Braille and Speak so that the printer starts printing, using the
> linux printer driver to drive it.

If the DOS machine is connected to the Linux Machine
through Ethernet, are you sure you need serial from
Braille-n-Speak to the Linux box?

It's probably simpler to transfer the B'n'S file to
the DOS machine and from there to print on the Linux
box.

Otherwise, this is probably a job for Minicom/Seyon
and some advanced scripting. You should be able to
create a script that (a) opens Minicom, (b) gets the
file from the B'n'S and saves it to disk and (c) auto
prints the file for you on the printer.

That should not be too hard to do, as long as you know
what the format of a B'n'S file is.

If you are into shell programming, you could probably
do most of the same thing with a good shell script and
the ZModem utilities.

For more information:
man minicom ("minicom -S" runs a script for you)
man runscript (minicom interpreter)
man rx, rb, rz
man sx, sb, sz

... But you probably figured that out yourself... <grin>.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

--

Gil Andre          gandre@arkeia.com