printing from Braille and Speak through linux to new printer?

Hello,
My sister has got an old Braille and speak, I think it is the BNS clasic.
She has an hp500 inkjet printer which has both paralel and serial ports.
She want to replace this printer with a new printer, prefferably, one of
these multi-functionnal printer/scanner/fax machines.
I am almost certain that one will not find a new printer that can
accept text as it will come from the Braille and Speak because these
things
need drivers.
Currently she is using a 486 running RedHat with which the internet
connection
and email is handled. This box is accessed with another 486 running dos
with a prose 4000 speech card.
I was thinking that one can by a new linus-supported printer and make the
linux box "listen" on the serial port for data from the braille and speak.
One can then take the data and send it through lp to the new printer
through
its driver.
Has anyone done this, or is there a better/easier way?
Whatever i set up for her would have to be easy to use.  Thanks for any
ideas!
regards, Willem

--
Willem van der Walt