From: blinux-list-admin@redhat.com
On Behalf Of Gil Andre
Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 10:09 AM
To: blinux-list
Subject: Re: vi status line

Hi!

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:23:50 -0500, Travis wrote:
> Hi,
> My vi defaults to having the status line showing.
> This is interfering with my screen reading as I telnet to the machine.

Which vi? Are you talking about "vim", "elvis" or "vi"?

You should enter "which vi" and check if the "vi" is not
a symbolic link to "vim" or "elvis".

For instance, Slackware uses "elvis" by default. But "vim"
is also present and can be configured easily. Other systems,
such as the BSDs, use a version of "vi" which is almost the
original one. Many, many, many systems, such as Mandrake or
SuSE, use "vim" by default.

Anyway...

Under Slackware, which is what I use, here is what you should
enter:

(a) using elvis:
check the ".exrc" file of your "/home" directory and remove
all the lines that contain ":set ruler".

(b) using vim:
check the ".vimrc" file and remove all the lines that contain
"set ruler".

Close all sessions of vi/vim/elvis, restart the program and
you are all set.

Hope this helps!

--

Gil Andre          gandre@arkeia.com