vi status line

Hi,
My vi defaults to having the status line showing. This is interfering with my screen reading as I telnet to the machine.
Is there any line I can add to the vinrc file that will make the status line disappear? My default vinrc file does not make any mention of it, but I have used vi on other systems without having this status line.
Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

**  Travis Roth
www.TravisRoth.com
travis@travisroth.com