linux and windows on the same computer

On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Mitchell wrote:

> 1. to produce a beep at the lilo prompt where you select which
> OS to boot in to you would do the following.
>
> In linux as root
>
> echo -e \\A > /boot/bootmessage.txt

That should be a lower case "a" rather than the upper case given:
case is important in linux.  So the modified line:

echo -e \\a > /boot/bootmessage.txt

> > 2. May I access the files residing on the Linux partition
> > through Windows?

There was a package for this in the win9x days, I believe, but I
haven't heard anything about it for a while, so I'm not sure if
it has been maintained, and can't remember the name.  Most of us
are hoping it has conveniently died, I suspect. <grin>  The
prospect of having linux files conveniently accessible through
such a dramatically insecure operating system (successors to
dos/win9x have proven even more insecure), without the normal
linux permission protection is not a pleasant concept....

If you find the package, and it still works, you want to think
carefully before installing it, thereby adding convenient
insecurity to your disks.

-- L. C. Robinson
reply to no_spam+munged_lcr@onewest.net.invalid

People buy MicroShaft for compatibility, but get incompatibility and
instability instead.  This is award winning "innovation".  Find
out how MS holds your data hostage with "The *Lens*"; see
"CyberSnare" at http://www.netaction.org/msoft/cybersnare.html