linux and windows on the same computer

Hi, this question probably appeard quite a lot of time on this list, but as
I am new here I have to arise it again.
If I have a computer on which windows2000 and linux redhat 7.2 are installed
on different partitions, then:
1. is there any way to access the system selection state? I believe that nor
Windows screen reader neither Linux one is up and running at this stage. Is
there a way to produce a "beep" telling me time to press an appropriate
keystroke to select one of the systems?
2. May I access the files residing on the Linux partition through Windows?
do I need a software like Samba for this?
I'll appreciate any and every information. Thanks in advace, Rafi.