laptop linux?

Jim,

Linux on laptops is not very hard, as long as your hardware
is supported under Linux. The advice I always give is to take
a look at the following web site:

http://www.linux-laptop.net

This site will give you a huge list of links with just about
every laptop under the sun which is supported by Linux. Very
useful.

I personally recommend IBM laptops, as their quality is very
high, and most of their machines are very well supported under
Linux (that may change in the future). I just installed
Slackware 8.1 over my IBM ThinkPad A20P and it works very well.
Previously, this machine was running Red Hat workstation 7.2,
with a default "laptop" install, and it was also running very
well.

There are some companies who sell laptops with Linux pre-
installed (Red Hat or other). Here are a few:
http://www.xtops.de
http://www.debianshop.com
http://www.tuxtops.com

You can search for more on google.

In general, laptops should be very well supported. The only
(frequent) exception is the on-board modem, which is usually
a Lucent winmodem, as these are proprietary hardware. Some
kernel modules exist even for these modems, but "your mileage
may vary"... (I am currently fighting with mine!!).

Finally there are several "Linux Laptop How To".
Most Linux "How To" can be found at:

http://www.linuxdoc.org (Main site)

(Main linux/laptop document)
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html