anybody want to get involved re: usps.com

--=======67A246B2=======

I used to wonder about this, too. Now, I think the answer is really quite
clear.

It's peer review. Good, old fashioned, academic-style, "I don't owe you
anything," peer review. I think anyone, including programmers, takes a bit
more care about appearance and quality when going on display. Hiding in a
binary is a bit like eating alone--no one knows if you're a bit sloppy
about it. Publishing the source means people can look, and many will.

I heard a presentation by the project team leader from NSA that produced
Security Enhanced Linux. They said very much this same thing. He credited
the open development environment for helping NSA build a better app than
they otherwise could have.