From: "Cheryl Homiak" <chomiak@chartermi.net>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 13, 2002 3:18 AM
Subject: anybody want to get involved re: usps.com

Hi everybody.
ray morgan, the 508 coordinator for the US postal Service, has been
corresponding with me re: the inaccessibility of the www.usps.com site. I
had
pointed out to him that when using lynx one gets a message about enabling
javascript, and when using links-2.0 and above it is impossible to check out
once you have placed something in your cart. He has been diligently keeping
me
posted regarding progress on the site.
Today he wrote and said that i should be able to purchase and check out now,
but
he also indicated that javascript support is still needed. He also indicated
that testers found the site works with jaws, though he said some more work
needs
to be done.
I worte him back and thanked him for all his effort and diligence in
informing
me, but also reminded him that usability with jaws and accessibility are not
necessarily the same thing. I pointed out that not everybody wants to use
Jaws
and that not everybody who even wants to do so can afford it. I told him I
would
let him know what happened when I tried to use the site again.
Unfortunately, when I went to the site and again tried to buy stamps,
nothing
had changed for me. with links-2.1pre2 I was unable to go through checkout
and
with lynx I of course got the same old messages about enabling javascript.
I wrote to ray and told him that i would post on this list and see if
somebdy
with more technical knowledge than I possess would like to try to help track
down the problem. If anybody is interested in trying to help with this,
Ray Morgan's email address is
RMORGAN1@email.usps.gov

I think he really genuinely is trying to work on this problem.
Thanks.

Cheryl