Had enough with windows....going insane.....need advice

Hi:
Do you have a second computer with speech which you can use as a terminal=
=20
to install Linux and next install and get ready brltty to work with your=20
BL40 on the main system? It can be a way to go.

Or you can use BL40 as the speakup synth for your Linux os installation,=20
get everything ready with brltty, make speakup silent and activate brltty.

I'm not sure why you got so much trouble with Windows, I'm not a fun of M=
S=20
but can make their products to work for my needs and win98 SE and win2k=20
pro work-station versions seems in my case relatively stable.

Thanks, Pawe=B3.
 On Sat, 12 Jan 2002, David Csercsics wrote:

> Yes I suppose you are right I could do that but the trouble is that I c=
an't
> use the same serial port for speech and braille through the same device=
. So
> I probably could use speakup to get the thing installed but I'd be stuc=
> somewhere after I compiled brltty and installed it for my braille displ=
ay
> because you'd have two programs trying to talk to the same device throu=
gh
> the same port so something should conflict in theory. Not to mention th=
at
> the braille lite's speech would drive anyone pretty much crazy :)

What
> > > would be the easiest distro to hack a boot disk for so that I can
> install
> > > without sighted help as I don't trust a lot of people with my compu=
ter
> and
> > > most of the people I know would faint if they had to install anythi=
ng
> other
> > > than windows so it looks like I'll be doing it myself. Also is ther=
e a
> way
> > > to read ms word and excel documents under linux? I get a lot of tho=
se
> and it
> > > seems saving things as plain text is a foreign concept to a lot of
> people. I
> > > assume that I would have to sacrifice ocr for a reliable operating
> system.
> > > By that I mean that there is ocr for windows but the os crashes too
> often
> > > and I am forever reinstalling but I've treid to put up with it beca=
use I
> > > haven't been able to get a dual boot to work at all. All that seems=
> > > happen when I try to dual boot si windows becomes twice as unstable=
. So
> am I
> > > correct that there is no useable ocr for linux? Any
> > > comments/suggestions/advice/whatever would be greatly appreciated a=
> this
> > > point as I'm going to slowly go insane and I've got a huge programm=
ing
> > > project I've gotta get started on (studying computer science in col=
lege)
> and
> > > I need to use my computer for a lot of other things and I really ca=
n't
> > > afford to waste a lot of time and torture myself with instability. =
The