regulating the time a process can run with crontab?

Brent -

You will at least have to put your recording command in parentheses
(so it runs as a subprocess) and follow it with an ampersand (so it
runs in the background, and control returns to the parent process
immediately).  So, I would write it this way:

#!/bin/sh
(lynx --source `cat /tmp/streamurl` >path_to_file.mp3)&
PROC=$!
at $end kill $PROC

However, I have not tested this.  In particular, I'm not sure the at
job will inherit the environment so that $end is defined.

	   - Jim Van Zandt