Something compatible with xcel

Cheryl Homiak asked for a way to create time reports in the form of
Excel spreadsheets.  gnumeric is a free tool that can read and write
Excel format files.  It has a GUI, but I hoped for a CORBA or command
line interface for the simple translation task.  Anyway, I posted a
question on the gnumeric list and got this reply from
"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" <dm@zensunni.demon.nl>:

> Gnumeric currently isn't the right tool for that job (but see
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnumeric-list/2002-February/msg00000.html).
>
> In the short run, you're probably better off using catdoc's "xls2csv" and a
> small perl script using the Spreadsheet::WriteExcel module to do csv -> xls.

Following up on the latter, I suggest installing these Debian
packages:

  catdoc
  libtext-csv-perl
  libspreadsheet-writeexcel-perl

The last package includes the file
  /usr/share/doc/libspreadsheet-writeexcel-perl/examples/csv2xls.pl

which converts a CSV file to XLS.  Unfortunately it's not installed
with execute permissions.  I suggest copying it to a directory in your
PATH using something like this:

 cp /usr/share/doc/libspreadsheet-writeexcel-perl/examples/csv2xls.pl /usr/local/bin/csv2xls
 chmod +x /usr/local/bin/csv2xls

This should let you convert their timesheet to a CSV file which you
can fill out with a regular text editor, then back to an XLS file
which you can provide as a binary attachment.  You should be able to
use gnupg to create a detached signature of the XLS file.

	  - Jim Van Zandt