Fw: Linux VS Windows

------=_NextPart_000_0175_01C1AA91.B113CFD0

----- Original Message -----
From: "Victor Tsaran" <tsar@sylaba.poznan.pl>
To: "Speakup List" <speakup@braille.uwo.ca>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2002 7:28 AM
Subject: FWD: Linux VS Windows

Dear listers,
I think this is quite an interesting article.
Best regards,
Victor

------=_NextPart_000_0175_01C1AA91.B113CFD0
	filename="Evaluating Linux Reality vs. hype.txt"

Evaluating Linux: Reality vs. hype=20

Judging from my recent columns =93Save big by replacing NT file servers =
with Linux Samba=94 and =93Don=92t look now, but Linux 2.4 is =
enterprise-ready,=94 you can easily tell that I=92m a fan of Linux. =
However, I certainly don=92t want to oversell Linux to TechRepublic =
members. Linux continues to suffer from too much hype and exaggeration. =
My goal with today=92s column is to help sort out the real advantages =
and disadvantages of deploying, managing, and supporting Linux in a =
corporate environment.

Why Linux is getting so much attention
A lot of the attention Linux has received in the last few years is based =
less on what Linux is and more on what Linux is not. Quite simply, Linux =
is not Microsoft. In fact, Linux might adequately be termed the =
antitheses of Microsoft.=20

=20

Microsoft and its products are centralized, polished (at least in terms =
of image), proprietary, user-friendly, and generally pretty expensive. =
Linux and its software products are decentralized (in most cases), open =
source, a little difficult to use, and generally quite inexpensive (at =
least up front).

Much of the hype that swirls around Linux is centered on the hopes of =
many people, both within and outside the IT community, that Linux will =
help unloose Microsoft=92s stranglehold on the software market. However, =
IT professionals seeking to deploy the best solutions based on sound =
business principles must cut through this hype when evaluating whether =
the OS meets the requirements of various situations.

The Linux security myth
The first, and most prevalent, piece of hype I must dispel is the =
=93Linux security myth.=94 I have to admit that it was reading a number =
of flawed and misleading arguments about Linux security made by members =
in TechRepublic discussions that prompted me to write this article. Many =
TR members have been asserting that Linux is inherently more secure than =
Microsoft=92s popular Windows NT/2000 platform. I strongly believe that =
argument is dead wrong, and I=92ll tell you why.

First, I must say that few people know Linux like Jack Wallen, and his =
Linux tutorials are some of the best in the business. You can tell from =
his writing that he passionately wants Linux to succeed in the IT =
marketplace. I think that a lot of the TR members who are making =
outrageous claims about Linux security are Linux enthusiasts like Jack.

However, arguments that claim that Linux is not susceptible to viruses =
like ILOVEYOU and other damaging activities simply because it hasn't =
been affected so far are flawed from a network security standpoint. =
It=92s like saying, =93Let=92s go to the second floor of our glass house =
because the people outside are throwing stones only at the first floor =
right now.=94 Eventually, they=92ll start throwing stones upstairs, too, =
and eventually, hackers and virus writers will start targeting Linux. =
Suggesting that a switch to Linux will keep your organization out of =
harm=92s way is a temporary solution, at best, and is not a good =
security strategy.

No operating system is inherently secure, with the possible exception of =
something like Trusted Solaris, which is built entirely around security =
in order to serve the needs of government contractors and high-security =
industries. The security of most operating systems (including Trusted =
Solaris, to an extent) depends heavily on the configuration of the =
administrators who design, implement, and manage them.

Linux enthusiasts often point to the fact that Redmond is continually =
releasing new patches for Windows as an indicator that Microsoft =
products are less secure. However, these numerous flaws are found =
because of the sheer numbers of administrators, security experts, and =
hackers that put Windows under the microscope every single day.=20

=20

That=92s not to say that Microsoft should not make security a higher =
priority in its development efforts. Obviously, it should. But putting =
Linux under the same microscope reveals a plethora of security flaws, =
too, as evidenced by the fact that companies such as Red Hat are also =
continually releasing security patches to their Linux distribution.

In defense of Linux security, I will side with Linux partisans in =
agreeing that an administrator can more thoroughly lock down a Linux =
system than a Windows NT/2000 system because of the open source nature =
of Linux and the fact that you can get in and look at every aspect of a =
Linux system=97something that=92s not possible with Windows software =
because of its proprietary nature.

However, security still depends heavily on the person(s) configuring it. =
A well-configured Windows server is certainly more secure than a poorly =
or partially configured Linux server, and=97let=92s be honest=97it=92s =
much easier and faster to configure and lock down Windows NT/2000 than =
Linux. Nevertheless, as I mentioned above, if you have the time, =
inclination, and/or necessity for providing maximum security, it is =
possible to drill down further into the Linux OS and make it very =
secure. Keep in mind that this takes considerable effort, and there are =
still no guarantees since Linux ultimately has its own security flaws =
that are continually being patched by vendors and developers, just like =
Microsoft.

Ultimately, my goal here has been to dispel the myth that Linux is =
inherently more secure than Windows NT/2000 because, clearly, it is not. =
That being said, I think we=92re ready to have a sane look at some of =
the areas where Linux has considerable value, as well as some of the =
penguin=92s drawbacks. Figure A shows a rundown of the Linux pros and =
cons that we=92ll be discussing.

A look at the true costs
You can=92t talk about the advantages of Linux without talking about =
dollars (or whatever your national currency may be). One of the =
tried-and-true methods of turning big profits in the software industry =
is by requiring a paid license of your software for each machine on =
which it is loaded (see Microsoft Corp.). Linux flies in the face of =
this trend by not requiring a paid license for using the operating =
system.

For example, you can buy one $29.95 Red Hat Linux CD and use it to load =
Linux on 100 servers. You do not owe Red Hat any additional money and =
you are still legally within the terms of the General Public License for =
Linux. If you had decided to load Windows 2000 on those 100 servers, it =
would have cost you in the neighborhood of $75,000=97if you took =
advantage of one of Microsoft=92s volume discount programs. Obviously, =
this factor alone can make Linux very attractive.

Actually, in a situation such as this, Linux can save you even more than =
the cost of the licenses because the hardware requirements for Linux are =
significantly less than Windows NT or 2000 for accomplishing the same =
tasks. For example, whereas a Windows 2000 server really requires a =
minimum of 256 megabytes of RAM to accomplish basic file and printer =
sharing, a Linux server can offer comparable performance when handling =
the same tasks with 64 to 128 megabytes of RAM.

Deployment and support
Another one of the most widely extolled virtues of Linux is its =
stability. Once you get Linux properly configured=97a task that=92s not =
for the faint of heart or the inexperienced=97you can definitely reap =
the benefits of excellent stability. I have heard enough stories from =
other administrators about Linux Web servers, DNS servers, and firewalls =
that were configured and then not touched again for over a year to =
believe fully in the stability of Linux. I can also personally vouch for =
the Linux firewall on my network, which has been running without a hitch =
for four months, and a Linux Web server I helped set up that ran =
uninterrupted for over six months.

However, this stability does not come without a price. Setting up and =
configuring any kind of server functionality on Linux takes considerable =
effort and often an initial period of trial and error in order to make =
it work. I think it=92s fair to say that even for a Linux expert, it =
takes much more time to configure Linux on the front end than it does to =
configure similar server functionality on Windows NT/2000. Again, this =
effort is often rewarded by a stable and reliable Linux server that does =
not need as much babysitting as many Windows NT/2000 servers require.=20

=20

What does this mean? If you are going to deploy Linux, you must have =
some well-trained Linux experts around. So you=92ll need to train your =
current staff or find some Linux consultants to assist in the process. =
Either way, you=92re going to be looking at incurring considerable =
expenses to deploy Linux.

Support is another area where Linux costs can exceed the costs of =
Windows NT/2000. Linux/UNIX administration is more complex and therefore =
more expensive. It also takes longer to train your staff on Linux, which =
increases the cost even further. Finding Linux consultants and good =
Linux support can also be a major challenge.

In addition to being more complex and challenging to configure, Linux =
can be more difficult to troubleshoot when things do go wrong. This =
makes it even more essential to have well-trained Linux professionals =
available whenever you are deploying Linux for a mission-critical =
function in your organization. Unfortunately, finding good training =
programs, first-class Linux support, and competent Linux consultants can =
all be challenging at this point. These things need to be nailed down =
before any Linux deployments move forward.

Back to the plus side, remote administration of servers is much easier =
and more efficient on Linux than on Windows NT/2000 because all =
administration tasks can be accomplished from the command line. Thus, a =
remote technician can dial in to the server on a phone line or make a =
secure shell (encrypted Telnet) connection over the Internet and set up, =
modify, or troubleshoot the server.

Not on the desktop
I have to address one final topic. Recently, I=92ve chuckled a bit as =
I=92ve read some of the discussions and member e-mails in response to =
our recent series of articles on Microsoft product activation. Many =
members, frustrated by Microsoft=92s antipiracy techniques, have vowed =
to switch their desktop machines to Linux if Microsoft continues its =
plans for restriction licensing on Windows and Office XP. While I fully =
identify with their frustration, I think that nine out of 10 of the =
people who make this claim must have never used Linux on the desktop. If =
they had, they would know that Linux still does not offer a common, =
viable desktop solution.

While Linux servers are rock-solid stable, the Linux desktop is =
notoriously buggy and unstable. Key Linux desktop applications such as =
StarOffice, WordPerfect, and Netscape Navigator are prone to frequent =
crashes. Some Linux distributions and versions have no trouble with =
these applications, while others deliver pitiful performance or can=92t =
even get them to run. Many of those who attempt to use these =
applications will long for the stability and performance of Microsoft =
Office and Internet Explorer. I believe that this is mostly due to a =
lack of standards between different Linux distributions and desktop =
environments. Unfortunately, the Linux desktop is inconsistent across =
the different platforms, versions, and GUIs. Thus, it simply isn=92t =
ready for prime time yet.

The final word
When it comes to Linux, I am a realist and not the kind of convert or a =
zealot that characterized the early Linux user base. I am the kind of IT =
professional that Linux needs to win over in order to build a lasting =
niche in this industry. In this article, I=92ve tried to take a sober =
look at Linux=92s advantages and disadvantages to help administrators =
see through the hype and make sound business decisions when considering =
a Linux deployment.

------=_NextPart_000_0175_01C1AA91.B113CFD0--