From: blinux-list-admin@redhat.com
[mailto:blinux-list-admin@redhat.com]On Behalf Of John
Sent: Thursday, August 22, 2002 10:55 PM
To: blinux-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: external modem and minicom

On Thursday 22 August 2002 18:25, pawel_l@adaptech.net wrote:
> Hi John and all:
> This is US-Robotics 56k external fax/modem connected to ttyS1.
> There is no problem to run wvdial but I can't get any respons from
> minicom, even pressing typical combinations of keystroke gives me
> no respons, for instance, ctrl+z dos nothing, i can't close the program
> and need to kill minicom from another console. Besides, modem accepts
> dial-ins but it is another issue.

I have here an external modem attached to  ttyS0. One of the good things about
external modems (at least, the ones I've seen) is for our purposes they're
all the same.

I've typed the command
minicom -s
I have a menu. I choose Serial port setup using down arrow, press enter.
I see this:
    ┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    ¦ A -    Serial Device      : /dev/ttyS0
    ¦ B - Lockfile Location     : /var/lock
    ¦ C -   Callin Program      :
    ¦ D -  Callout Program      :
    ¦ E -    Bps/Par/Bits       : 38400 8N1
    ¦ F - Hardware Flow Control : Yes
    ¦ G - Software Flow Control : No
    ¦

I've trimmed the right hand side off in case it wraps when I send it.
Those values will do for me. You will want to choose A and change the name of
the serial device.

I press Enter and return to the first menu. I choose Modem and dialing.
There's a lot of gibberish there which I will ignore. Items A through H you
would need to check with your modem's manuals before you make changes. These
are probably fine.

I press Enter to return to the previous menu.
I choose "Save as" and save it as "test."
Minicom says, "Configuration saved," leaves the message on-screen for a couple
of seconds and returns to its initial menu.
I choose Exit ( NOT Exit from Minicom).

Minicom flashes a message, "initializing modem" for a couple of seconds.
Now the top of my screen (terminal window) looks like this:
Welcome to minicom 1.83.1

Compiled on Aug 28 2001, 15:09:33.

Press CTRL-A Z for help on special keys

OK

with the cursor just below "OK," and at the bottom of the screen,
 CTRL-A Z for help | 38400 8N1 | NOR | Minicom 1.83.1 | VT102 |      Offline

If I type commands at my modem, it talks back:
ATI
TP560 Data/Fax/Voice 56K Modem
OK

Let's make a phone call. As far as I know, nobody's home:
ATDT92503951
CONNECT
ÿ.@1593 0529 8 16      lH..
OK

Looks like the computer answered. We're not interested in what it has to say,
trust me. Besides, "OK" is from the modem and it's hung up!
At the bottom of the screen:
 CTRL-A Z for help | 38400 8N1 | NOR | Minicom 1.83.1 | VT102 | Online 00:01

To leave Minicom:
Control-A X
A menu pops up, I press Enter.

If someone wants to publish this as a quick tutorial on Minicom that's fine by
me.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.