Problem installing Red Hat linux 7.2

On Thursday 22 August 2002 14:07, Barbara J Wagreich wrote:
> John:
>

> the reason for the 2GHZ is because I'm also running windows 2000 and
> windows 98 on that PC as wellas linux.

But not at once. I'd be surprised if a basic Celeron or Duron wouldn't do all
you want, unless you're going to surprise us all doing some CAD work or
similar.

Or serious database or other software development.

If you plan to install Linux and vmware to run Windows 98 and Windows 2000 all
at once, then you need something a bit more serious. Even then, though, your
basic Celeron or Duron plus more RAM would still do pretty well.

Even so, it's not the operating systems so much as what you run on them that
determines what you need.

If all you want is text input and text output to do email and some web
browsing and similar then just about any of the computers I have in my office
(mostly Pentium IIs) will do what you want.

You've told us you're upgrading from a Pentium 100, but you didn't say why.

If I build a current Linux kernel on a Pentium 100, it will probably run
overnight. If I run it on my Athlon (1.4) it will most likely take under one
hour. Current Durons and Celerons are not much slower than my Athlon.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.