Playing chess in Linux? It works!

Boris Daix <Boris.Daix@insa-lyon.fr> replied:

> I'd love but I'm behind firewall... :-( but I hope it will be ported
> into official Debian packages list soon... !

Oh, you caught me there :).  I already promised to do the packaging,
and I promise again, I'll do it as soon as I find
a bit more time.

Since then, emacs-chess is really simple to install, you just need to
download from emacs-chess.sourceforge.net the tar-ball, extract it
somehwere in your home-directory, run make and add something like the
following to your .emacs:

;;; Chess.el
(let ((chessdir (expand-file-name
		 "~/emacs/lisp/chess")))
  (when (file-directory-p chessdir)
    (add-to-list 'load-path chessdir)
    (setq chess-sound-directory (concat chessdir "/sounds"))))
(when (load "chess-auto" t)
  (setq
   chess-default-display 'chess-plain
   chess-ics-server-list '(("freechess.org" 5000 "myname"))
   chess-plain-black-square-char 43
   chess-plain-draw-border t
   chess-plain-white-square-char 45
   chess-plain-spacing 0))

Now do M-x chess RET to start-up a game agsinst crafty if
everything went fine.  If you want to call another chess module,
prefix with C-u, so for internet chess servers, do
C-u M-x chess RET ics RET

There are different modules, look in the sources or see the info manual.

Note: I've contributed to chess-plain especially for braille display usage.
You can for instance configure each individual piece character
through variable `chess-plain-piece-chars'.  This includes the
white and black pieces.
There is also `chess-plain-upcase-indicates' which can be set to
'color or 'square-color.  Be creative :)

AFAIK there is no emacspeak support for emacs-chess yet, but it should
be really trivial to add, as text-properties label each
square.

--
CYa,
  Mario