Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the sound card

Try ttyS2 - capital S.

You almost certainly do not need setserial. PCI devices configure themselves
inless they're broken.

Using vi to read stuff in /proc is a bad idea - vi will probably try to write
there. Use the less command instead.

In the particular case of PCI information, best to use the lspci command. It
has a database and can translate stuff into somewhat compreshensible terms.

Use of minicom is sensible.

On Thursday 22 August 2002 00:24, Darragh wrote:
> Ok, I've got a bit further.  I got into that PDF file at last.  I've being
> trying to use set serial the way it says for the last half an hour.  the
> line that I'm using is:  setserial ttys2 uart 16550A irq 5 port 0xd400 thats
> giving me an error ttys2: input/output error.  I've tried putting different
> numbers between 0 and 6 after ttys but no difference.  I've found two
> numbers at the port/I/O line one was 0xd400 and the other was 0xd407.  I've
> tried both of these with still no affect.  The other part of the line is
> uart 16550A.  I have no idea what thats about, I'm just taking that one from
> the document.  I've put the readme at the end of this mail, hopefully
> someone could shed some light on it.  I thought at first that I had to edit
> the pci file located in the /proc directory but I noticed thanks to pico
> that its read only.  There are lines in the read me that aren't found in the
> pci file.  Could this be the problem? The lines are "Vender id=151f. Device
> id=0." and "medium devsel." After that it goes onto the IRQ.  There is a
> line before which says modem rev=0 or something like that, that wasn't
> mentioned in the read me but I surmise that this is because it isn't
> relivent?
>
> Readme follows:
>
> With Internal Modem:
> 4.4.1 Manual mode:
> 1. Find file pci from path / proc, then use vi editor to find Topic vender
> ID
> "151f" and the I/O-address, IRQ-number that Linux assigns to Topic
> modem.
> For example : cd / proc
> vi pci
> ---------------------------------------
> Vendor id=151f. Device id=0.
> Medium devsel. IRQ=5.
> I/O at 0xe400 [0xe401].
> (Then type q to quit vi)
> 2. Under path / dev, type setserial tty-number uart 16550A irq IRQ-number
> port I/O-address
> For example: setserial ttyS2 uart 16550A irq 5 port 0xe400
> 3. Under path / dev, firstly, remove the default settings that the modem may
> linked to, and then link the modem to the tty that you assign on step 2.
> For example: rm modem
> 1n -s ttyS2 modem
> 4. Now, you can use minicom to test the modem and type ATI3 to check the
> type of this
> modem.
> For example : minicom
> ----------------
> ATI3
> 4.4.2 Automatic Mode
> 1. Copy topic.modem executable file to / bin
> 2. Copy script file rc.serial to /etc/rc.d
> 3. When you start Linux again, you may see the message of " Setup topic
> modem." and it means working properly. If not, you can type topic.modem
> TOPIC chipset User's Guide
> 33
> directly.
> 4. You can use minicom to test the modem.
>

> Thanks again

> [...]

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.