Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the sound card

Again nothing, I used the command setserial -a <cr> and setserial -a create
but still nothing that doesn't seem to be a modem problem but a syntax
error.  I've being trying to decompress the rpm's for linuxconf but I've had
no luck, the speakup method of reading the man pages is taking some getting
use to.  Its pronouncing some words as broken words example house is hou se.
Its very distracting.  To make things worse, I cant use the up and down
arrows to read the man pages as speakup reads SS in front of every line,
I've found from experimentation that the E key will do the same thing
without calling out the SS string.  Also, I cant read in pico with the arrow
keys, I have to use the speakup navigation keys.  that makes it nearly
impossible to edit text and incert  text into certain parts of configuration
files.  I'll probably get use to it but for the moment its frustrating.
Back to the modem though, this is getting on my nerves, I specifically asked
for a hardware modem when buying this computer to make it as easy as
possible to install it.  Looks like I'm going to need some more time.  For
thoughs of you on the list sick of hearing from me by now, I'll get there
eventually, I am use to having full independence in Windows, its difficult
to go to an operating system where absolutely everything is different.

Thanks again

Darragh