Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the sound card

In a sense the ampersand disconnects the program from your terminal so it can
run in the background while you do other things. The advice to type the
ampersand was not useful. What you see is just the way bash works.

I've been using Linux for some years, and been using it for dialup since Red
Hat 4.2. I've never needed to use setserial.

What I would like to see is the output of wvdialconf, but what it writes to
the screen and the configuration file it creates.

You can capture the screen output like this:
wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf >wvdialreport 2>&1

Before you do that, though, check whether the modem is plugged in to power and
the computer and that it is turned on.

btw, you said you have "a 56K hardware modem." You did not say whether it's
internal or external. My instructions above assume external.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.