Connecting to the Internet ; editing LIO; setting up the sound card

First, a reminder. I'm not blind, I'l here to learn what problems the blind
have and how they're addressed. However, I have been using Linux for some
years.

Sound is ordinarily quite easy. I install Linux, and on the first boot kudzu
leaps in and asks if I want to configure my sound card. I say, "Yes," and it
does.

Configuring the modem itself is generally almost as easy. Login as root and
run this command
wvdialconf /etc/wvdial.conf

There will be lots of messages, hopefully some of them resulting from it
finding and testing your modem.

The result will be a file called /etc/wvdial.conf which should contain
something like this:
[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/ttyS0
Baud = 115200
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
; Phone = <Target Phone Number>
; Username = <Your Login Name>
; Password = <Your Password>

Remember, not those particular values, but like that.

To this you can add something like this:
[Dialer isp]
Username = summer
Password = shooter
Phone = 92503951
Inherits = Dialer Defaults
[root@gw root]#

Connecting might be as simple as issuing the command
wvdial isp

where isp matches the word after "Dialer" above.
But then, it might not be so simple, but this is a good start.

--

Cheers
John.

Please, no off-list mail. You will fall foul of my spam treatment.