Obscure problem installing RH 7.3

Hi All,

I'm not holding out much hope that anyone will be able to help with this one,
as I think its a combination of a lot of factors, but I'd be interested if
anyone's got any ideas.

I have an early pentium machine with 32MB of memory, 100MHZ processor, 1.2GB
disk, and no CD ROM.  This machine has an old Papenmeier braillex card
installed which allows me to drive my Braillex 2D directly using the
'hardware' option.

When I was running RH7.1, I occasionally found that the machine would drop off
the network if I didn't have the braille display connected.  I had to connect
the display, and power-cycle the machine to get it to re-connect. This problem
disappeared when I installed RH7.2.  I therefore felt fairly confident about
installing RH7.3, but the installation process got as far as probing hardware
(it got to the stage of displaying information about the mouse), and dropped
off the network.  This was particularly inconvenient, as I was installing from
an NFS mounted file system on my Sun workstation.

A reboot to RH 7.2 didn't sort things out, and I've more or less given up
trying to think of causes for this.

My first thought was that KUDZU did some sort of re-configuration, but unless
it actually re-configured the network card, (an AMD PCI pcnet LANCE), I don't
understand what could have changed that wouldn't have cleared following a
reboot to the formerly trouble-free version 7.2.

It then occurred to me to wonder if in some way the braille display card was
confusing things, but I have no idea how I could test this theory short of
rmoving the card, and I wondered if anyone else has this card, and has this
problem.

Any thoughts gratefully accepted.

Regards,

Tim Pennick