From: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2002 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: pdf forms from Social Security

On the one hand this is pretty strictly an American issue. On the other
hand,
it is interesting to know why you don't think that at least properly written
PDF for acrobat 5 is not accessible (obviously there is a lot of PDF that
isn't written to be accessible - and there isn't much to discuss about
that).

It might be that the WAI Interest Group list - w3c-wai-ig@w3.org - is a more
approapriate place to discuss this question (or it might not).

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Janina Sajka wrote:

>This is a clear cut 508 violation, in my view. There is no good
>accessibility to forms in PDF on any platform, including Microsoft
>Windows.
>

>On Sun, 4 Aug 2002, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
>
>> does anybody know whether or not there is a way to read the pdf forms on
the
>> social security site? I tried pdftotext and they did not come out
legible.
>> I also tried using google; the text version link got me a 'not found" and
>> the html link (I put in the url for a particular form) got me the same
>> illegible form that I got when trying to use pdftotext.
>> For an example, one of the forms i tried to access was
>> http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-632.pdf
>> Also,
>> is there any way to print these files to a printer short of finding
somebody
>> with
>> a Windows system to do it?
>> SSA provides just about nothing as far as their forms in accessible
format, and
>> if they are going to
>> say their website provides that, their pdf files certainly don't appear
to be
>> accessible to me. Ironically, the instructions for the forms are right on
the
>> website, but the explanation is such that you have to be able to look at
the
>> form to understand the instructions.
>>
>> Cheryl

Charles McCathieNevile    http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61 409
134 136
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative     http://www.w3.org/WAI  fax: +33 4 92 38
78 22
(or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex,
France)