regulating the time a process can run with crontab?

Oh, so you'd just use sleep for the time in seconds, and use this command
after to make it end? I'm not real sure of good places to learn about shell
scripting and the like, as I've never done more than simple lists of
commands with it, conditionals get sort of tricky, for trying lfs, just
typed as the instructions said, and things worked to make it in to a
loopback file system.