accessability of Staroffice

As far as I know, StarOffice for Windows is speech-hostile.  People who
have tried it have then deleted it.

At 07:10 PM 12/19/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Is there star office for windows, my old ms office install is corrupt, and
>want to use something else, speech friendly?
>At 03:04 PM 12/19/01 +0500, you wrote:
>>Hi,
>>Staroffice runs under X windows, so in its standard form, I would say that
>>it is not accessable to blind people.  If your only need is to read
>>ms-word documents, there are two viewers that works ok.
>>The one is called wv and is on the redhat cd set.  The other one is catdoc
>>and can be found on the net.  I have it here and can send it to you.
>>Catdoc is like the linux cat command but for ms-word documents.
>>I ended up using it more to listen to the ms documents that is sent to me.
>>Staroffice does read ms documents.  It can also save documents in the
>>ms-word
>>format sothat ms-word users can read/edit what you have written.
>>The interaction between staroffice and ms is reported to be better in
>>version 6.0 beta than in Staroffice 5.2, but the beta seem to have some
>>other
>>bugs which might be sorted out in the full release.
>>My wife exclusivly use Staroffice.
>>regards, Willem

Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535  <lras@loc.gov>
<http://www.loc.gov/nls>
HOME:  <lras@sprynet.com>       <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>