From: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
To: <blinux-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 4:26 AM
Subject: Re: cellular net access?

Actually I believe there are cards that will let you use a mobile phone
as an
audio connection - in principle capable of giving you 56k...

chaals

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Gil Andre wrote:

  Hi!

  Sorry -- as far as I know, that does not exist anymore. The
  only solution close to that bandwidth was Ricochet (wireless
  networking) but that company is dead. Or close to death and
  Chapter 11, anyway.

  GSM networks only allow 9.6 Kbps uplink and downlink -- which
  is barely usable. Other radio networks (non-GSM) should not be
  much better, and do not offer the communication quality of
  GSM.

  To get close to that kind of speed, the only solution I can
  think of is satellite phone/modems (such as Intelsat), which
  gives you up to 36.6 Kbps anywhere in the world, but the price
  is prohibitive... To say the least.

  Your best bet? Wait for the 3G phones (next-generation GSM).
  These promises HUGE speed increases -- up to 128.8 Kbps, if I
  remember well -- but they won't be in use for another 3 years.
  And they will be deployed first in Europe, not in the USA.

  Sorry!  =(

  On Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:50:02 -0600
  Brent Harding <bharding@doorpi.net> wrote:

  >Is there any good way to get cellular access to the Internet in the
  > states at at least 28.8 k using my computer to get online? I don't
care
  > what OS I must use as long as it's not required to upgrade to
millenium or
  > xp, staying with 98 and linux. If it's a pcmcia card, is there a pci
  > pcmcia adapter that I can put the card in a desktop system? Thanks.

  /-------------------------------------\
  |   Gil Andre -- Technical Writer     |
  |Knox Software: http://www.arkeia.com |
  |     email: gandre@arkeia.com        |

Charles McCathieNevile    http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61
409 134 136
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative     http://www.w3.org/WAI    fax: +1
617 258 5999
(or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex,
France)