A Bunch of Questions

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Rafael wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 03:42:38PM -0700, L. C. Robinson wrote:
> > It seems to me that it would be much easier to just change
> > the username on such an account.  Do: man usermod for
> > details.
>
> That won't take care of user's mailbox name and it's
> permissions nor it will change the ownership of files in user's
> home dir as far as I know. At least it won't work that way in
> all versions of Unix.

On the contrary.  The filesystem does not store user names in the
directory structure.  Do "ls -ln" on your home dir, to see what
there really is.  Now do "id", to see what your id numbers are.
So when you change a username, it just changes the appropriate
mapping table (/etc/passwd), which file utilities like "ls" use.
Now, if you want to change user id numbers -- that can get hairy;
but there are automated ways to do that too.  And take my word
for it, that IS standard Unixen behavior.

BTW, I was reading the new Red Hat manuals about the new sysadmin
utilities last night, and I was impressed.  They have some very
readable tutorials, much of which would apply to any
distribution, particularly the text mode utilities, and it is all
available online at their website for free.  In particular, you
would want to look at the new Red Hat Customization Guide, which
includes the Kickstart chapters I was originally interested in,
for the recent enhancements (you saw some quotes from it in my
recent posts about kickstart).  I've been using Unix and then
linux for nearly 20 years, and I'm still learning new stuff from
well written guides like that.

LCR

--
L. C. Robinson