linux, and unix.

[quoted lines by cbowman@netdoor.com on December 11, 2001, at 10:36]

>I had heard that it is posable to run some unix
>programs under linux I don't know if this is true, or not

Strictly speaking, there's no such thing as Unix any more. Unix is the name of
the original operating system, developed a couple of decades ago, which has
become the template for all of the variants with which we're now familiar.
There are many variatns, including: AIX, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Irix, Linux, SCO,
Solaris. It's really only correct to speak of an operating system as being
Unix-like, in which case Linux is as much Unix-like as any of the other
variants.

If you have a binary (an already compiled program) for some particular Unix
variant, it probably won't run on any of the others. If, howver, you have the
source code, then, assuming the application already runs on one of the Unix
variants, there's a high probability that it'll run on any of the others. Since
no Unix variant is exactly like any of the others, however, you may need to
make minor changes to the source code and/or the build process (usually a make
file) in order to get it to work.

>but, I had heard
>that there is a unix version of eudora is there a version of this for linux,
>or would the unix version work ok? has eanybody tried this?

If there's a "Unix" version, and that's really the way it's being presented,
then it's probably source code, and can undoubtedly be compiled and run on a
Linux system. If it's just a binary, then whoever's referring to it as a Unix
version doesn't really know what he's talking about as, rather, he should be
stating which variant of Unix it's been compiled for. Again, Linux is as much a
Unix-like system as any other system which is described as being Unix.

EMail: dave@mielke.cc | Canada  K2A 1H7   | if you're concerned about Hell.