E-Mail Trials

Hello,
Here is what I tried to get my e-mail up. I haven't tried everything that
was suggested yet, because until e-mail is working i can only run Linux at
night.
The command
fetchmail -v -u director@chpi02 mail.voyagerhosting.net
produced first a reqauest for my password. then it tried the various
protocols and settled on pop3. Then it said "invalid user name or password".
Next I tried
fetchmail -v -u director chpi.org
This seemed to work better, so I tried it without the -v, then ran pine. But
there were no messages. I assome that fetchmail knows where to put messages
so Pine can find them.
Next, I wrote a .fetchmailrc file with the lines
poll chpi.org proto pop3
user director pass *))&&^^
then
fetchmail -v
first said it was querying the server using pop3 then it said
status=2 (SOCKET)
Running fetchmail without the -v again produced no messages. This address
gets a lot of mail, so there should have been some. the -c option also
produced nothing.
I also have a yahoo e-mail address for monitoring mailing lists. When I
typed
fetchmail -v -u techbrl mail.yahoo.com
It asked for my password, then tried IMAP, then just sat there until I
pressed control+c.
I hope these details put us closer to the solution to the problem. Your help
is very much appreciated.
John

Computers to Help People, Inc.
http://www.chpi.org