Mail HowTo

Problem with putting smtp in the Pine configuration is that it may not
always be available, and it will detain pine if it isn't available. On the
other hand, the provider may not accept local smtp (as my dialup provider
when I tra vel, UUnet, does not).

Bottom line ... You have options.
 On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Chris Nestrud wrote:

> I'm assuming that you want to use fetchmail to get your mail and pine to
> read it locally. It's possible to use pine to do both of these, but
> fetchmail will give you more options. The account name, password, and
> incoming mail server go in ~/.fetchmailrc. You can set up multiple
> entries for multiple mail servers. I'll make an example below. From what
> I remember of pine the smtp server goes in the main configuration
> section of setup. You can also put your outgoing real name and domain
> name there. In order to use multiple from addresses you'll need to look
> into using roles, or just use two different accounts on the system.
> Here's an example of ~/.fetchmailrc with several accounts.
>
> poll  "mail.somewhere.com"
> protocol pop3
> username "smith"
> password "secret"
>
> poll "server.somewhere-else.com"
> interval 5 # if you put fetchmail in background and check each minute it
> 		# will check this account every 5 minutes
> protocol imap
> username "me"
> password "bigsecret"
> ssl # use encryption, not always supported by isp
>
> Hope this helps and doesn't make things even more confusing.
>
> Chris
>
> On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 08:21:47AM -0500, John J. Boyer wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Thanks to those who answered my question on upgrading from RH 7.1 to 7.2.
> > Here's one last question before I switch to Linux except for some office
> > chores that require Windows.
> > I've been reading the manuals for Fetchmail and Pine, but I can't quite
> > figure out where to put the various information for setting up an e-mail
> > account. So I'm wondering if there is a howto that explains step by step
> > what to do to set upo an e-mail account in RedHat.
> > My current e-mail address, director@chpi.org is provided by our Webhosting
> > service. We also have DSL from a different company. To set up this account
> > on Linux, i will have to specify the webhosting company's server for
> > incoming mail, the DSL company's server for outgoing mail, the account name
> > assigned to be by the Webhosting company, my e-mail name, "director", and of
> > course my password with the Webhosting company. Where does all this
> > information go?
> > I also have an Internet Ministry account which is set up in a similar way.
> > I'm anxious to get off of Windows with its lack of security and instability.
> > Thanks.
> > John
> >
> > Computers to Help People, Inc.
> > http://www.chpi.org
> > 825 East Johnson; Madison, WI 53703

				Janina Sajka, Director
				Technology Research and Development
				Governmental Relations Group
				American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

Email: janina@afb.net		Phone: (202) 408-8175

Chair, Accessibility SIG
Open Electronic Book Forum (OEBF)
http://www.openebook.org

Surpassing Gutenberg, at http://www.afb.org/ebook.asp

http://www.afb.org/mlkweb.asp

Learn how to make accessible software at
http://www.afb.org/accessapp.asp