Transfering linux system to a new hard drive

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 11:32:41AM -0500, Henry Yen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2001 at 05:03:43AM -0600, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> if that is an issue, the new drive may also be incompatible with your bios,
> in which case you'll only be able to see the first 8 gig.

Can't tell not knowing what motherboard is in there.

> > The plan is to have a dos partition on the sme hard drive as linux, though
> > if I could afford it I'd still rather have two separate hard drives.
>
> if you can afford the space, it's probably better to have both on a single
> drive; dos can't use more than 2 gig, and 2 drives are more overall
> risk than a single, and also linux has no problem with non-linux
> partitions.

It's always better to have more than one drive, that's the whole idea of
RAID systems. That means two drives is better than one. You can mirror the
data which is a quick backup while tape or other removable media servers
as archive.

> it's a bad idea to hot-plug ide drives (although i've done it a few
> times without problems).  and if there's a stiction problem with the
> old drive, it's quite possible that hot-plugging would cause a
> power hiccup, which is even worse for a marginal drive.

You can do that with SCSI but ATA drives are not build for that kind of
operation. In any case, you need to plug the power in correctly, i.e.
ground first which is not that easy to do, otherwise you'll damage the
drivers with reverse current or current loops through the motherboard
circuit.

--
Rafael