Re: Internal data (was Re: Speech-enabling approach) (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:45:28 -0500 (EST)
From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@xxxxxx>
    <blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Internal data (was Re: Speech-enabling approach) (fwd)

The approach that we try to take in Web Coding is that good design is
universal design - making things which work for blind users is a first
class technical problem which is of the same importance as ensuring that
the graphics standards work, or that the information is transmitted and
received whole.

HTML provides lots of features for accessibility - ALT, LONGDESC, OBJECT,
LANG, the use of Aural Style Sheets and the ability of the user to control
presentation in great detail, the proper use of NOFRAMES, and so on.

Convincing people to use these features relies on a number of things - one
of which is leading by example - build sites which work for everyone, not
just sighted (nor just blind) people.

Charles McCathieNevile

--Charles McCathieNevile            mailto:charles@xxxxxx