Re: Internal data (was Re: Speech-enabling approach) (fwd)

thx for continuing  the discussion on blinux-develop

--Hans
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 08:00:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Dave Mielke <dave@xxxxxxxxx>
To: blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Internal data (was Re: Speech-enabling approach)

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999, Jason White wrote:
>This is why it is important to try to influence the development of user
>interfaces within the open-source/free software community, and elsewhere
>for that matter, and to develop tools which can take advantage of whatever
>sources of semantic and structural detail are available from within these
>environments.

This, of course, is entirely true, but a bit of an understatement. Even if all
such tools were in place, the significant problem still remains that the
majority of the web page designers, who still only care about making those
pages look impressive to sighted people, need to be gently and politely
convinced that they should expend all kinds of effort not only to use the new
facilities, but also to learn how best to use them so that a blind person would
actually benefit from them.

--
Dave Mielke           | 856 Grenon Avenue | I believe that the Bible is the
EMail: dave@xxxxxxxxx | Canada  K2B 6G3   | if you're concerned about Hell.

---
Send your message for blinux-list to blinux-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Blinux software archive at ftp://leb.net/pub/blinux
Blinux web page at http://leb.net/blinux