Re: cocci: multiple versions of function with different arguments

On Wed, 2014-04-23 at 13:13 +0200, Stefan Assmann wrote:

> > #define vlan_rx_add_vid_func(a,b,c) vlan_rx_add_vid_func(a,c)

> That's one way to handle it but I'm sure there will be other cases where
> we might use coccinelle similarly, where a define might be tricky.
> Luis asked me to do some cleanup on igb, so I'm exploring ways to make
> it easier for other network drivers as well.
>
> If for some reason cocci should have a problem with this the fallback
> to a define is a good idea.

I don't disagree that we might have to solve this cocci problem, but I
would much prefer the define over the cocci patch as it leaves the
output code closer to the input code, which can be important for some
use cases (e.g. ours - development based on a backport tree.)

So even if we can figure out how to make such a thing work with cocci,
I'd argue that we should pick the define (in this particular case.)

johannes