Re: 3.13 various backports bugs

follow answers

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013, at 05:00 AM, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> On 11/30/2013 01:45 PM, Nikita N. wrote:
> > Hi dear maintainers of backports :) I have few bugs to report, Ill try
> > to be as fast as I can.
> >
> > - Bug #1:
> > Im running on standard Slitaz4, kernel 2.6.37-slitaz, updating modules,
> > the following script:
> > ./backports-3.13-rc1-1/scripts/compress_modules.sh
> > the "if" is not able to detect the present compression, as result the
> > new modules are not compressed, and get mixed with the old ones
> > compressed, resulting in lots of errors.
> > My actual workaround is just to delete the "if" line.
> > The issue is present systematically in all backports releases, since the
> > switch from compat-drivers.
> > The compress_modules script into 3.9 is instead working good.
>
> What distribution are you using? I want to reproduce the issue.

sure thing! you can get Slitaz4 here:
http://mirror.slitaz.org/iso/4.0/slitaz-4.0.iso

> > - Bug #2:
> > eeprom modules are missing into 3.13.
> > This issue is present systematically in all backports releases, since
> > the switch from compat-drivers.
> > It could be a wireless bug only, or a backports bug only, or both.
> > Anyway, eeprom module is vital for correct interface detection.
> > Into 3.9 the eeprom modules are located in
> > ./compat-drivers-3.9-rc4-2-su/drivers/misc/eeprom/
>
> This should be included in your kernel you are compiling against
> otherwise you wouldn't be able to build rtl8187.
>
> There was a bug in backports regarding EEPROM_93CX6, could you please
> try backports-20131122-2 and report back if the problem is still there.

We are already discussing that with Larry on wireless mailist, Ill
forward the mails here FYI.

> > - Bug #3:
> > New dependance has been added, CRYPTO_CCM, which denies all modules
> > compilation based on MAC80211.
> > The dependance is set in ./backports-3.13-rc1-1/net/mac80211/Kconfig
> > On Slitaz4, such kernel config is not set, hence its needed to edit
> > manually the kernel .config in order to enable it.
> > After enabling, modules compilation goes all right.
> > Hence, or CRYPTO_CCM is useless, or its needed to show a warning to the
> > user at Kconfig runtime, in order to take the necessary measures.
> > It took forever (even for me!) to find that bug, which btw was denying
> > the compilation of my Realtek modules.
>
> Yes that dependency was added to mac80211 in the mainline kernel some
> weeks ago. After you activated CRYPTO_CCM in your kernel config you have
> to recompile your kernel otherwise you will get problems at least when
> you use WPA2.

..damn.. I dont know how many Slitaz4 users will be happy about that..
:(

> > - Bug #4:
> > Repeated back-slashes "//" are present into script-makefile files, you
> > can see them appear for example running "make alldefconfig & make
> > install":
> > [...]
> > COMPRESS /lib/modules/2.6.37-slitaz//updates/compat/compat.ko
> > gzip: can't open
> > '/lib/modules/2.6.37-slitaz//updates/compat/compat.ko.gz': File exists
> > [...]
>
> Probably a different error is causing this problem, Linux is fine with
> repeated back-slahes, it just does not look nice.

agree, forgot adding "cosmetic" as below

  http://www.fastmail.fm/help/overview_quotes.html