How to detect when module dependencies have changed?

Hello--

I recently ran into an issue where the module dependencies changed
between the versions of backports that I was using and I had a hard
time determining what was going wrong with compiling the driver
against backports.

Basically the situation was this:
  - Worked on a driver using a 2013.08 development snapshot of kernel backports
  - I wanted to compile the driver against the latest backports (based
on next-20131113)
  - Discovered that the module was not being compiled, because the
CPTCFG_MAC80211 flag could not be enabled

The problem, I think, was that CRYPTO_CCM was added as a dependency of
of MAC80211 in the meantime.  I discovered this by using menuconfig to
figure out what config flags where causing MAC80211 to be disabled...

At first, to address this, I tried adding "crypto/" and
"drivers/crypto/" to "copy-list" and regenerating (which also
requiring some sed manipulation of the CONFIG_ flags)...

However, the more "correct" solution (which didn't require any changes
to backports) was to just enable CYPTO_CCM as a module in the kernel
backports was being compiled against.

So... my question is, is this a bug?  And/or is there a better way to
detect this situation in the future?

Thanks,
-Jason M