Re: Removing of GPU drivers from backports

On Sun, Sep 08, 2013 at 05:42:23PM +0200, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> As we do not have that big constant man power I am for removing the GPU
> drivers to make it easier to add support for a new linux next versions.
> Most of the users are using backports to get a recent wireless driver
> for their desktop Linux or their (old) Linux on an embedded device.

For what it's worth, I agree.

I simply don't understand who the target audience is for the GPU/DRM
driver backports; unlike the wireless/network drivers, the GPU/DRM
subsystem generally requires equally updated userspace in order to take
advantage of the newer stuff, and that has its own morass of
dependencies.

I don't understand the point of backported regulator drivers either;
those tend to be part of the core board support package for a given
hardware/SoC design and as such isn't something that's going to be
retrofitted into an existing design running an older kernel; and if
you're going to be bringing up a new board from scratch, why not use the
latest kernel to begin with?

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy        		       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^