Re: Bug with the website: links are broken

On 08/01/2013 09:43 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM, Chris R <chrisrfq@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Its back up...
>>
>> Thanks very much!
>>
>>> ...that page has ancient releases, why are you still using them?
>>
>> I'm stuck at kernel version 2.6.37.
>
> So backports is designed so that you use a backports-3.11 say on
> 2.6.37. That is you don't have to use a backport-3.10 only on 3.10 in
> fact that'd be pointless. We backport functionality from a kernel as a
> base and that base is used as the version name for the release.
>
> A few folks have reported misunderstanding this as well so I'm curious
> apart from the documentation we have on the wiki [0] what else can we
> do to help with this?
>
> [0] https://backports.wiki.kernel.org
>
>   Luis

Users do not read any documentation. ;-)
I added it to multiple places in the wiki and still there are people in
the IRC with such problems.

We should make it fail if kernel version > backports version and we
should also take the minor version into account. If the major version is
the same we should print a big warning.

Hauke