Re: What is going on with "agl-image-telematics"?

On Mon, 15 May 2023, Yan Xin Kuan wrote:

> Hi community,
>
> I would like to ask what happened to the agl-image-telematics.
>
> You can see I would like to build the BBE demo. But,
>
> builder@ubuntu-Lenovo:/AGL-WORK/master/bbe_expand_space$ source agl-init-build-env
> Common targets are:
> - meta-agl layer:
[snip]

The list printed from aglsetup.sh is unfortunately a bit stale, I have
opened a JIRA issue (SPEC-4800) to track updating it.  Most of the
agl-image-* recipes in meta-agl were removed when we dropped the previous
application framework in the Marlin release, as they were not providing
any real value over agl-image-minimal at that point.

> builder@ubuntu-Lenovo:/AGL-WORK/master/bbe_expand_space$ bitbake agl-image-telematics
> Loaded 5069 entries from dependency cache.
> Parsing recipes: 100% |################################################| Time: 0:00:02
> Parsing of 3269 .bb files complete (3257 cached, 12 parsed). 5089 targets, 727 skipped, 1 masked, 0 errors.
> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'agl-image-telematics'

> Also I do not see the documentation to help me build the BBE demo image on the master branch, I could see that doc like a month earlier, what is going on with that?

You'll have to elaborate a bit on where you are looking, do you mean on
docs.automotivelinux.org?  There has been some cleanup there recently, and
since the BBE is community supported and not a reference platform, it's
possible the documentation for it was pruned back.

> So what image does BBE build now?

In CI the BBE is currently tested with the agl-demo-platform-telematics
image.  Depending on what you are looking to do, that may still not be
useful, as the telematics demo application app that had been used up until
Marlin is currently not built as no one has had the time/motivation to
update it to work without the application framework.  I have considered
reworking it to use VSS signals from KUKSA.val as we do now in the other
demo platform images, but it has been unclear to me if that is actually a
good demo since that is quite a heavyweight way to just pick out a few
CAN messages.  There was a bit of discussion of a contribution from
SanCloud to rework the demo application to just use SocketCAN directly,
but I believe they got too busy on product and have not come back with
anything.  If you are interested in working in this area of AGL, I would
suggest joining the application framework and connectivity expert group
call on Wednesday.

Scott