Re: BSP 5.5 and dtb changes

Hi Kurokawa-san,

thanks for the clarification. Please see the question below:

On Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 2:45 PM Harunobu Kurokawa
<harunobu.kurokawa.dn@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sorry inconvenience due to big change about dtb file name.
> Since latest u-boot can detect memory size automatically then latest kernel doesn't prepare each memory size variation device-tree file.
> moreover, we stopped to use "-es1" name.
>
> Regarding starter Kit and dtb relationship is described here.
> https://elinux.org/R-Car/Boards/Yocto-Gen3/v5.5.0#Relationship_diagram_between_each_SK_board_and_DTB_file_in_Yocto_v5.5.0
> Kingfisher case :
> https://elinux.org/R-Car/Boards/Kingfisher/Yocto-Gen3/v5.5.0#Relationship_diagram_between_each_SK_board_and_DTB_file_in_Yocto_v5.5.0
>
> > # or should that be  r8a77861-ulcb ??
> existing M3ulcb is ver1.0 then you(and CI) should use "r8a77960-ulcb*.dtb"
>
> > # 61 is correct ??
> We will optimize them to reduce.
>
> > old: r8a7795-h3ulcb-4x2g.dtb
> > new ???
> > -->> Here we used to differ the dtb for the 4x2g variant with 8GB,
> > this is no longer built - which one do I use now ?  <<--
> If you/user update new u-boot, no need to prepare memory size variation.
> Then, r8a77951-ulcb.dtb support both 4gb and 8gb starter Kit.
Excellent. That is a great simplification.

CI related question: So we need to reflash the firmware - ok no problem.
Do you know if a newer u-boot from BSP 5.5 can boot an older
kernel/dtb combination then ?
Because if we reflash and run e.g. CI jobs for lamprey we would still
use the old kernel/dtb combination.

Best,
Jan-Simon