Re: Waltham Remoting

On Thu, Sep 09, 2021 at 04:25:06PM +0300, Назарій Керницький wrote:
> Wow, Marius, appreciate your quick response!
Hi,

> So, after your input and a great deal of advice, we added into conf/bblayers.conf
> AGL_FEATURES:append = " waltham-remoting"
> and managed to build agl-platform-demo.
Or use the features straight from the command line, when sourcing
aglsetup.sh.

> But when we start the board and configure correct output in
> weston.ini, we see no Homescreen (blue-ish menu with icons), even
> though it used to be rendered before. Agl-compositor is running.
>
> Is this normal behavior?
Obviously not, hard to tell why homescreen is not running, but running
homescreen is orthogonal to the transmitter plugin.

I've made an error in my previous mail saying that transmitter plugin
handles the streaming the data, but actually it is responsible for
handling input events sent by the waltham protocol from the receiver
side.

On the transmitter side, another plug-in does the streaming
(remoting one) -- and should be built and installed once you've added
waltham-remoting to the features list.

On the receiver side, an application is responsible displaying the
incoming stream (including decoding) *and* for capturing the input
locally, relying it back using the waltham protocol.

So, basically the gist is:

Transmitter:

- start compositor which loads remoting and transmitter plugin
- set-up configuration file telling it what app surface to stream
to the receiver.
- start client shell (homescreen)
- start application

Receiver:

- start compositor
- start receiver application which waits for incoming stream to be
displayed
- receiver connects to the local compositor to display incoming remote
stream, and connects to the transmitter plugin to relay input events
received locally.

> What to expect from waltham-transmitter:
> - would it clone surfaces to receiver OR extend it?
No. Any streaming of surfaces happens with the remoting plugin, which
basically starts a gstreamer pipeline and that handles it. It only works
with the drm backend.
> - would it render homescreen at host?
No. No, transmitter plugin has nothing to do rendering.
> - how to run it OR would it run itself?
Have you read
https://docs.automotivelinux.org/en/lamprey/#5_Component_Documentation/2_waltham-receiver_waltham-transmitter?

There's there a diagram there that shows how the transmitter and how the
receiver works in a bit more detail.