Re: agl-compositor

On Wed, Dec 02, 2020 at 02:29:58PM +0330, Farshid Monhaseri wrote:
> Hi Marius,
Hi Farshid,
> I have a question about the capability of AGL-Compositor, first I want to
> post a bug/feature in AGL Jira, but then I decided to ask you first then
> step further.
> I have senario, like this: I have top-bar which is in panel layers, then I
> have a fullscreen app. In some cases I want show the topbar(make it
> visible) but without scaling down the app (change layers to normal). As I
> understood the layers groups like this: bg < normal < panel < pop-up <
> fullscreen. So I need to change the app layer to some layer like bg (I
> think it is not possible at run time) or change the topbar layer to the
> fullscreen layer (I think this also not possible since it panel initialized
> statically).
Not setting any window/surface property at all should make the window
maximized (as in, it will be in the normal layer). Compositor tells the
surface to redraw itself to the correct width/height and set itself as
maximized. The surface area would not exceed those width/height values (total
surface area - minus the panel sizes).

Changing it from fullscreen to maximized should, in theory, reveal the
panels. The application can take measures to resize correctly when that
happens.

Now, I have no idea how exactly you set your window to be fullscreen, if
you're using agl-shell-desktop protocol to let the compositor know that
the surface should be fullscreen.

This shows that we're missing (in that protocol) the ability to tell the
compositor that it should basically, put/make the surface back as
maximized (in order to reaveal the panels).

> I know the whole scenario is not unexpected in real-world apps but I have
> lots of other similar scenarios in my mine, I am just strugling to find
> answer for them.
If you not want to resize the surface to maximized, like I've said
above, do not create any panels, but instead make them a pop-up type,
that matches the panel dimensions.

The dialog/pop-up window is like an on-screen virtual keyboard it is
above all other layers. You can also de-activate it and activate (to
hide/show it) using the agl-shell-desktop protocol. alexa-viewer is a
dialog/pop-up type of application so you can use that to see what that
needs to be done.

PS: I hope you do not mind, I've CC'ed the mailing lists as maybe others
would like to be in the loop as well about this, and I'd like to ask you
do the same in the future. Either that or we use JIRA directly to
further discuss issues.