Re: Postinsts at buildtime ?

Hi Theo,

When you try to install apps at build time, you're not in the runtime
environment, which means that no daemon is running.

But to install an app, you'll need at least:
* the app framework daemon (af-main)
* cynara (permissions manager with its db)
* security-manager (for provisioning security labels)
* ... and probably a few other things I forget

At the end, what you're asking for is a bit difficult given the method used by
bitbake to create images. To reach the goal without changing the current build
procedure, all operations executed at runtime by the above daemons must be
emulated with native tools that would be executed at build time. This is a
significant amount of work and care must be taken to ensure that the result
produced by the native tools are the same as the one produced by runtime
daemons. Furthermore, a daemon is not a simple command line tool run
synchronously in a postinstall: it must generally run in the background, wait
for client requests etc. As a conclusion: it's not impossible but it's
absolutely not easy and not safe...

Another idea could be to use Yocto/bitbake to produce RPMs and only a minimal
image, RPMs being kept aside. From there, in a second step, the image could be
booted in a VM and the rest of the RPMs installed in a correct runtime
environment. Basically, it would mean having a first boot on the build server
:). Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any implementation of that kind on Yocto
(did anyone hear about something similar?).

Best regards,
---
Stephane Desneux - CTO - IoT.bzh
stephane.desneux@xxxxxxx - www.iot.bzh